Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Organized New Mom Tip #1: ROUTINE, ROUTINE, ROUTINE

When I say routine, I don't mean that at 9:07 a.m. Baby must be down for his nap or there's gonna be trouble. It simply means doing things in a certain order.

I don't care if you decide to sleep all day and be awake all night, just make sure you do it consistently. This was the best thing I could do for my son and was the most integral part in salvaging my sanity.  My husband and I were hermits for the first few months of his life because that was the routine that worked for us. Besides, once a routine is firmly established, I found that I could change it occasionally. We could keep him up a little bit later to go to a ball game, or miracle of miracles, my husband and I could go on a date once in awhile.

However, you don't necessarily have to stay at home to keep a routine. If you are always out and about, that could be a part of your routine. Once Will was a few months old, we went out all the time, but I just made sure I built it into his daily routine. Shopping was always after his morning nap, and walks were always after his afternoon snack.  I firmly believe he was a much happier baby when he knew what was coming next, and a happy baby means an ecstatic new mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment