Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Organized New Mom Tip #2: Create a Universal Battery Charger Station

Before our son was born, batteries were something that we purchased maybe a couple of times a year. After he was born, and I found myself shelling out a few extra dollars every other shopping trip for 2AA’s here, or 4 D’s there, I finally broke down and bought a universal battery charger.
Baby toys take all different sizes and quantities of batteries, and oftentimes they drain them quickly.  When I made the move to rechargeable, I cringed at the initial cost, but I ended up saving money in the end.  It also gave me peace of mind knowing that if my baby’s bouncer ran out of batteries, I wouldn’t have to bundle him up and take him to the store to buy more.
Here’s some hints to help make your battery station something you can’t live without:
  • Make sure you buy double the amount of batteries you need so you can use those while the others are charging-this little tip saved my life several times.
  • Designate a spot in your home to create your rechargeable battery station, so everyone knows exactly where it is. 
  • Keep all of your extra batteries at the station, along with a screwdriver for taking off all of those protective covers on all of the toys; otherwise, you’ll find yourself hunting through the tool box every couple of days.
  • I also used this spot to place my camera battery charger and miscellaneous USB cords which made it easier to keep track of all of our gadgety-cord things.
  • Go ahead and place the station out of reach of little hands now, since your baby will be walking before you know it.
One more tip about batteries: I recommend not using rechargeables for all of those little knick-knack toys your baby might have. Most likely you have so many of these kind of toys, it simply becomes too hard to keep track of which ones have regulars and which ones have rechargeables, not to mention that these type of toys can drain rechargeable batteries in a matter of hours. Save the rechargeable batteries for all of those space-hogging but necessary newborn items, like the bouncer, mobile, swing, crib soother, etc.

Our family rechargeable battery station-
simple and to the point

Will, at 4 months-thoroughly enjoying the rechargeable batteries
while sleeping soundly in his vibrating bouncer
(Sophie the Giraffe available at http://www.justdelivered.net/ )


No comments:

Post a Comment