Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Organized New Mom Tip #4: Different “diaper” bags for different trips

At my baby shower, I was so excited to receive the oversized, adorable diaper bag I had registered for.  When Will was first born, I carried it around with me everywhere, but by the time he was a few weeks old, my perfect diaper bag became more like dead weight.  Not only was I lugging around a baby carrier (with a 6 week old who was in the 100th percentile in height AND weight), I was dragging around a monster diaper bag which was only half full.
Here’s the solution: have 2 or 3 different sized “diaper” bags packed at the ready. If you’re just going for a walk, grab the small messenger bag. If you’re going out for a morning of shopping followed by playgroup, take along the backpack or tote. Save the oversized gargantuan diaper bag for full day or weekend trips.
This might mean you need to get duplicate items for the different diaper bags, but for me, it was totally worth it knowing I could just grab a bag and go. Here’s a list of a few essentials that I always had packed in ALL of my different bags:
·         2-3 diapers
·         Wipes Case
·         Changing Pad (for the small bags, I just used a small disposable liner)
·         Pacifier w/ Clip
·         Change of Clothes
·         Baby toy
·         Receiving blanket (this can also double as a nursing cover)
·         Bib/burp cloth
Of course, the bigger the bag=the longer you’re away from home=more things you’ll need to pack for Baby. The above list of items is just what I needed almost all of the time in every different scenario of my day.  
One more tip: upon arrival back to your humble abode, be sure to replace any baby essentials that you might have taken from your bag during the trip BEFORE you put the bag away; otherwise, the whole bag system goes down the drain. Trust me, it’s not pleasant being stuck in the grocery store bathroom with nothing between you and your baby’s bottom but a thin piece of receiving blanket fabric. J

The diaper bag that ate Tokyo: perfect for a weekend trip
(not for a trip to the store)

My preferred small day-to-day "diaper"  bag
Go Rox

No comments:

Post a Comment