Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Organized New Mom Tip #8: Shop online

Not only is this a shameless plug for my online baby product business, it’s a useful tip I picked up soon after Will was born. I was never a big online shopper before he was born, mostly because I loved the experience of leaving my house to hop from store to store to browse and price compare. Needless to say, the luster soon wore off when I wasn’t so much hopping from store to store with my little guy, as I was trudging.
With the click of a button, I was hooked, although I assume you’re a kindred spirit since you’re reading this blog right now.  Shopping online made it so much more convenient to buy that last minute birthday gift  or order that replacement filter for the refrigerator, and I could do all that while simultaneously cradling my newborn in my arms – a much nicer alternative to wrestling the car seat or scrambling to find an appropriate place to nurse in public.
Here are some online shopping tips I’ve picked up along the way:
·         Most competitive websites offer some sort of free shipping deal, especially around the holidays. If you find a product you like, but the site doesn’t offer free shipping, look for the product on another site before purchasing.
·         If you’re buying a gift, check to see if the recipient has an online gift registry. Traditionally, most people create gift registries for weddings and baby showers, but more and more people keep an ongoing registry on their favorite sites. Plus, if they do have one, your shopping just became a lot less complicated.
·         If you’re not shopping on one of the online giant stores, make sure it’s reputable. You can tell a lot about a website by paying attention to their attention to detail. What’s the presentation like? Have the owners made themselves accessible to customers? Do they have an “About Us” page?  I’ve found some wonderful small online businesses by straying away from Amazon (once in a while). J

No comments:

Post a Comment