Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Organized New Mom Tip #9: Create time for yourself

Everyone tells you to do it, but how often should you really take a time-out for yourself without feeling guilty? The answer is, as often enough to keep you out of a straight jacket. Those first few months alone with a newborn can be a bear, and by bear, I mean one of those gargantuan Kodiak Island Grizzly Bears.  I LOVE my son and treasure our time together, but between my lack of sleep, feedings every 3 hours, and finding myself covered in indiscernible fluids, I came to realize the true meaning of “it takes a village”. 
A few suggestions:
·         The only way you’re going to get some free time is if you plan for it. When Baby first comes home, the offers pour in right and left to take care of him, so take advantage. After awhile, life gets back to normal, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t still need a break here and there.  Find someone willing to come on a regular basis to babysit so it’s already planned, even for just an hour or so. I am fortunate enough to have a sister-in-law who still babysits my little guy every week so I can sneak away. (Thanks, Rachel!)
·         I know it’s hard, but when you do get a little time, don’t spend all of it catching up on lame housework or errands.  Try to save some of it for something fun or relaxing- aka pedicure, coffee trip, or window shopping. This isn’t selfish-it’s necessary.
·         Since this is a blog about staying organized, I feel compelled to suggest that you don’t use ALL of your free time for fun.  Also use this time to do those little things that are so much more difficult with a little one attached to you.
·         Show your gratitude for the help. Let your significant other know how much you appreciate him or repay that babysitting favor however you can.  Make it clear how much their time and effort means to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment